Tuesday 7 March 2017

2017, 2017

Yo fellow humans, how you doin'. 

It's been a year since I updated this blog last... I guess I haven't really accomplished much in this time besides:

  • finish my master's degree
  • write a paper to publish
  • learn to cook not so gol rotis 
  • let my coriander and lemongrass plants die
  • started a new diary
  • made a  twitter account
  • made some new music, but it doesn't matter, really
...that's it, yep. I'm a failure. 

Currently I am working on an EP, which I've named '100 fathoms' (pretentious, but it's a sort of homage to Tomb Raider 2). I'm posting tracks as they finish on soundcloud, because I like the instant gratification and I like the image of bouncing songs into an empty glass box, where they rattle sonorously as they land. 

So, what is 100 fathoms about?

I don't know, but I have a picture in my head. Those who played the classic Tomb Raider games may remember the atrocious graphics. One of the creepiest things thanks to this characteristic was having to move Lara forward to get a better look at the surroundings, which would vanish in the dark depending upon her proximity to them. Doesn't make sense, but imagine this: you guide Lara down a rocky cliff, slick with green moss, listening to the howling of the wind in the cavern. The game is so dark, even turning up the monitor's brightness isn't very helpful. You make Lara walk forward and come across a skeleton. Not very promising. There's a bunch of small crevices in the wall to your right. You keep moving, yes, the scenery unfolds as you go along. Then.... THUMP. THUMP. THUMP. Oh no. Something big is coming your way, and you don't even have much ammo for your shotgun at this point. You flip back as a T-Rex looms out of the gloom and get ready. It's a dance between you two - Lara flips and jumps and dodges, her pistols lighting up the screen with each shot at the monster. Then yay, you're done! You move on, collecting a reward from the other end of the long cavern as you go.... and before you know it, you are killed by Mrs. T-Rex, who came home to find out you killed her husband and is now baying for your blood. Oh well. You saved the game, right?

I think I got a bit off-topic at this point, but you see, you cross that bridge when you get to it. You can't see much in the dark, but a lack of light doesn't necessarily mean you are scared. It can be relaxing even, to sit in the dark and wait for the stars to wink into existence. You can't see constellations in the day time anyway. 

(I swear I haven't lost my mind. It's just that staying at home for the past year with very few excursions into the outside world and fretting about getting into PhD is not very good for me.)


To wrap this post up, I'm going to leave you all with some muuuusssic. A little haphazard mix of everything I've been listening to since last year. Because I listen to one batch of songs nearly twenty times before moving on, there's not really a lot of diversity and everything from game OSTs, old cartoons et al. is dumped here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2017, 2017

Yo fellow humans, how you doin'.  It's been a year since I updated this blog last... I guess I haven't really accomplishe...