Monday 15 June 2015

spirare listens: defragment

Once in a while, there's something to listen to that wraps itself around you and you want to snuggle forever in its sonic arms. 'Defragment' by Ali Suhail is exquisitely intricate and warm,sort of bittersweet and beautiful, and...and... it's just really good, ok? I like how the guitar and vocals are like a spinal cord, and the rest of the sounds basically neurons branching out in layers. It's just a beautiful experience. Imagine sunlit afternoons spent alone or with friends, dappled sunshine as you drive under trees stretching their branches over the road, watching the sun sink out of sight, foggy gardens... just life, to be honest - with this album as the soundtrack. All isn't sunshine and roses, though. Listen to the lyrics, and you get a sense of how carefully the words have been rolled into the nooks and crannies of the music.

I find the lyrics interesting. There's sort of a darkness to them, I guess? I mean, like there's this:

'...Give me a hand, I'm not right
Not even close to what I am
Reassemble you with all that I have...'
-Nature

.....and then this:

"A breathing shrine for scabs where mirrors never had much to say.
There's big stitches holding me together
They're scaring you away."
-Enough


Anyway, go have a listen guys.This is good stuff.




Defragment, by Ali Suhail - In loving memory of  Sabeen Mahmud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2017, 2017

Yo fellow humans, how you doin'.  It's been a year since I updated this blog last... I guess I haven't really accomplishe...