Thursday 9 October 2014

spirare listens: a peek at my playlist

Lahore is pretty serene today, after all the rain and the andhis and dust. Especially the dust. I swear I  dug up a truckload of it as I cleaned up my bookshelf. Then there was a ton of old kiddy books of mine I had to transfer to areas of the house with a lower, um, population density. All that running up and down the stairs tired me out, man. And it reminded me of so many things I was meant to do before classes start.


So as I was saying, Lahore is serene and so am I. Today I'm in the mood to sit back with a cup of doodh patti wali chai and blog about what music I'm listening to currently.  Maybe I'll even make this a weekly section. It might motivate me to blog more, ha.




1. Absence - Asfandyar Khan

This a lovely, lovely track. It starts out so gentle and ripples inwards, outwards like waves of water stroking your brain. The music moves inch by inch until it creeps into every crevice of your brain. The mood seems sweetly melancholic, it whispers of nostalgia and longing. At least to me.





2. Teardrop by Massive Attack - Covered by Newton Faulkner





While the original version had soft, rather mysteriously enunciated vocals, this version is more, shall we say, gritty. Newton Faulkner melodiously growls the words, and its a pleasure to hear him sing the lyrics. I love this song's original version, but this one is very, very good.



3. Life - Ludovico Einaudi



When ever I hear this track, I get a sense of deja vu. I cannot, for the life of me remember where I've heard it before. It sounds like something heard years ago but I discovered it a few months ago and was blown away. The real fun with such classical tracks is guessing the instruments used. It starts off so beautifully with what I think is a harp and a glockenspiel, then is joined by a tinkling piano melody and builds up with a violin arrangement that weaves around the piano chords and truly takes off at the 2:44 mark and then gradually fades back into the glockenspiel. We come full circle. This is a track that makes you wish that you grew up in the middle of a forest with a clattering brook running through it. Since most of us didn't have that luxury, all I'll say is this track suggests: go outside.


4. Worlds Apart - Seven Lions ft. Kerli 




I love this track so much. I have been the humming the chorus to myself ever since I heard it. Kerli's vocals are taut and ethereal, floating over shimmering synths and tight percussion. And when the beat drops - oh man. There's also a really nice vocals only mix by Kerli of this song, but you get it if you sign up here.



5. Astro - Dynoman



I already reviewed Travels to Janaicah here (rather crudely I might say), but I really wanted to include this track on my list. I think it's an interesting track - I find myself rewinding to hear the beginning again and again. It's all bouncy layered beats and stuttering vocals, and immerses the listener in a chilled out but pensive mood. It's music for actively daydreaming away about, say, rock climbing, making a sandcastle or urban exploration.Yeah. A background for serious, thoughtful stuff. 

Any interesting music in your playlist? Comment and tell me about it!

-spirare

No comments:

Post a Comment

2017, 2017

Yo fellow humans, how you doin'.  It's been a year since I updated this blog last... I guess I haven't really accomplishe...