Thursday 30 October 2014

spirare listens: a peek at my playlist

Welcome back, peeps.

Today I'm gonna give you guys a sample of my music playlist from about 5 years ago, when I was trudging my way through f.sc (pre-med) and suffering through nearly every minute of it. I despised the schedule that left me little time to sleep and for my hobbies. I'll admit I wasn't the intense studying type but after two years of a very demanding schedule my creative juices seemed to have gone stagnant. I listened to a lot of Garbage, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Paramore, Emilie Autumn, the Rasmus and Sugababes, as well as a smattering of completely random classical music and film scores.

So, let's start with Garbage:


1. Push it - Garbage (Album: Version 2.0)




This is the noise that keeps me awake
my head explodes and my body aches

The lyrics are memorable, sung in Shirley Manson's distinctive earthy voice. The music is like a vortex - it sucks you and in and then gasps and whirls and spits you out.

2. Shalott - Emilie Autumn (from the album 'Opheliac')




...I'm half-sick of shadows...

Emilie Autumn's appearance and snarling, growling vocals might put many people off, but this song is one of my favourites. I am in love with the opening chords (played on a harpsichord) among the sound of gulls crying and the slamming of doors. Emilie has that slight rough edge to her voice that grates on the ears a bit, but it's unnoticeable as the song draws to a close. The song is fast-paced and there's a sense of urgency, as if one must tell a story and leap off to an adventure. The lyrics are based on the poem, 'The lady of Shalott' by Lord Tennyson. The cello and violin wreathe their merry way over and around the harpsichord arrangement. 

3.The Call - Regina Spektor



This gorgeous song is from the soundtrack to The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. It plays nearly at the end, as the Pevensies return to their own world. The bittersweet mood of this song makes me ache for happy times, for old friends, for things out of reach.

4. Precious Things - Tori Amos




This song is dark and moody with a brilliant piano build up. The lyrics get odder and odder (to me). But it's Tori Amos. I forgive her, since the chorus is so good. I'm still trying to figure out the second verse though. I couldn't find a non-youtube studio version, so you'll have to do with this live version. The quality's a bit iffy, but it can't be helped. It's a very good live version though. 


5.  Sail Away - The Rasmus





I remember hearing this song one day on some random german music channel. Since that day, it's been one of my favourites. I love Lauri's husky vocals here. This is a song for a rainy day.

So, have you ever listened to Garbage or any of the above mentioned music acts? What songs do you like?

-spirare



No comments:

Post a Comment

2017, 2017

Yo fellow humans, how you doin'.  It's been a year since I updated this blog last... I guess I haven't really accomplishe...